Search This Blog

Friday, February 27, 2015

The Daily Chai and People Who Suck at Texting

Today's grande Chai Latte is a little too hot and my tongue was scalded with the first sip. There is also too much milk compared to chai favouring. Where is my personal barista who knows how I like it when I need her? 

Don't mind me, I'm trying to invoke the spoiled, rich girl persona of a latte drinker. Sadly, I don't really have a personal barista

Clearly I did not properly heed this warning:


So...people suck at texting. Not everyone. Some people are awesome and I have whole friendships carried out through texting conversations. Which sounds sad, but in today's busy world, it's a good way to stay in touch.  Sometimes a quick text to ask a question or say "Hey, I'm thinking of you" is more manageable than an entire phone conversation. I get that. I do it all the time. I love that I can tell someone I care about that they've been on my mind with one quick text. No strings attached, no reply needed. I also appreciate getting those texts. And I appreciate the people who understand that I do not have time right this second to talk on the phone because I'm driving (I'm ALWAYS FUCKING DRIVING these days) or because Anna is asking me about her poo and Kate wants a snack.   

However, not every conversation can be carried on over text, especially when people leave conversations for days on end with no explanation. Don't misunderstand me, some texts just do not need a response and that's fine. Or you just haven't had time to even read the text, let alone form a proper response, also fine. We are all busy and we all have those days where we just want to crawl into bed and ignore the world and sleep for a week.  But when you are in the middle of a conversation and you decide you're done, a simple "I don't want to talk about this anymore, let's talk tomorrow" would work. Total radio silence in the middle of a conversation with no explanation drives me absolutely insane. It's rude. It's like hanging up on someone. Remember being so fucking furious with your boyfriend that you hung up on him? Remember how pissed off it made him? Same fucking thing. So if your intention is to piss people off, go for it, ignore that text. 

If you are bad at texting, I've included a few examples of conversations that should not be carried on over text: matters of the heart, announcing someone's death, breaking up, firing someone or letting someone know you just got married. 

So here is a brilliant concept to avoid those texting faux pas...make a phone call. I do not really like talking on the phone anymore. Which is weird when I remember the hours I used to spend talking to my 300 very best friends in the entire world. But some conversations just deserve a phone call. I'm guilty of this as well...don't worry, I'm lambasting myself as heavily as all the rest of you sinners. 

My bestie and I talk on an almost daily basis via text but it works for us because we work together and get face time occasionally at work. And we make plans to see each other as often as our busy schedules allow. But our friendship grew and blossomed because we are awesome at texting each other. It's a great way to share ideas and get to know each other, but if you don't have that essential, intuitive understanding between you, you're not going to "get" each other over text either. Plus, like I said, as much as I love those silly text convos to catch up with each other, we wouldn't be as close if we didn't see each other in person. I love her face and her laugh, she is my sister and my best friend. Text cannot convey those things. 

I recently went out for a beer with a good friend and she shook her head when I told her about some of my texting complaints and the complaints I've heard from others. Her response was, "The next relationship I have, I will make it a rule that there will be no texting." I'm not sure I myself could abide by that rule, but maybe there needs to be a "one phone call a day" rule to your significant other. Just to touch base. To hear their voice. Because honestly...if you don't want to talk to them, maybe that is a warning that you don't want to be with them either. 

No comments: