Search This Blog

Sunday, July 26, 2015

The Daily Chai Spends Another Day at the Beach

Today's chai...pfft. I told you, don't believe a word those lattes say, liars, all of them. Just when you're expecting a chai latte to show up at your door, there is always some excuse not to be there.

Just kidding, I'm on vacation and I'm too lazy to make a special trip to Starbucks for some silly, foamy drink. Fuck it.

Had a quiet morning with the girls and then headed to Trout Lake in Innerkip with the girls and spent the rest of the day there. Sadly, the water was a bit too chilly for me, but the kids happily spent the day in the water anyway and Kate even braved the diving board several times. And just to top it all off, we watched as a completely delectable youth did a handstand on the highest diving board and then executed a perfect dive from that heady position. My god, if only I were 15 years younger. What is it with me and my taste in much younger men? Trying to reclaim my youth, I suppose!

That same boy and his friends called over to me as I was packing up my car and asked me how old did they look. My gaze swept over the lot of them and I smiled sardonically, "Not old enough to drink, boys!" Groans of despair all around. They were probably 20, but who knows, when you get to my age, anyone under 25 looks like a child.

As we were leaving, Kate said this was the best day so far. I love that kid. Every day is the best day so far to her and I hope she lives the rest of her life like that.

After dinner, we went to see Pixels and lord help me if I have to watch one more ridiculous movie for the sake of my kids. Does anyone want to go to a grown up movie with me? I remember thinking with great glee after Kate was born that I would now have an excuse to go to all the great kids' movies. Approximately 86 terrible movies later, with maybe seven really solidly good films mixed in and I've realized that reality is always crap compared to fantasy, which I have learned to my detriment many times in the last few months. If you have a choice, stick to the fantasy folks.

In case you are curious, the seven movies that I liked were: Frozen (ruined now), Big Hero Six, Despicable Me, Brave, Wall-E, How to Train Your Dragon and Up. This list does not include any of the Harry Potter movies because, of course, I did not go to them for my children's sake, but purely for my own enjoyment, so they don't count as movies I was forced to see to ensure my children's life-long happiness or to try to get them to promise never to ask for anything again for as long as they lived if I would just take them to see some dumb movie. So far, that promise has been for shit. I just flap my hand and say, "Yeah, yeah, yeah." when I hear it now.

The kids are in bed now, sleeping together as is their preference and one in which I gladly indulge if they promise to actually sleep after ten minutes of chatter. I hope they have many fond memories of sleepovers with each other and that they tell all their secrets to each other and love each other until the end of time. Anna was sad because no one sleeps with her and Kate gets the dog and Kate was sad because she has dental surgery tomorrow to remove two baby teeth that are causing crowding with her adult teeth. I'm glad they have each other for comfort and that they like each other enough to give it.

Today was a good parenting day!

-Megs
xo

No comments: