Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

The Daily Chai Has Recovered - Fear Not!

Today's chai was delicious. So delicious I had another one in the afternoon and felt sick. Talk about too much of a good thing.

I feel much better today and much more capable of handling the world. A chat with a friend in the morning helped and seeing my bestie in the afternoon helped even more. Another friend came to my desk this morning and gave me a box of Kleenex and I was, frankly, quite touched that she a) read my blog post and b) cared enough to bring me my very own box of Kleenex so I don't need to run to the bathroom next month when this monstrous day hits again. Ended the day with a long chat on the phone with a great friend who just "gets" it, so all in all, I'm back to my normal self. Plus, I got my hair cut, so you know, I feel like a million bucks.  Don't knock the simple pleasures. If hormones can make me ridiculously irrational, than a haircut can make me feel like a superhero. There is logic in there somewhere. My hairstylist is one of my oldest, dearest friends and we barely scratched the surface today, but it was a great visit. All in all, I got by with a little help from my friends today. Thank goodness I was in a renewed emotional state to be able to laugh at my folly from yesterday and accept the warmth real friendship brings.

I also had a hilarious conversation with my daughters over the phone (instead of FaceTime). Here are some excerpts from those conversations:

"Kate, I love you more than anyone else in the world, except Anna, because she's younger and therefore cuter than you."

"Hey!"

"Well, come on, you can be pretty snotty and mean to me and we fight a lot. She's very sweet and nice to me and thinks I'm perfect. What's not to love? You're difficult."

"Okay, that's true. But think about what a brat she can be now. Just imagine what she will be like when she's my age. Watch out then!"

"True. Dammit"

"Ha ha!"

"Kate have you said the eff word out loud yet?"

"Mom! No! I'm not you! I don't want to say the eff word out loud!"

"Okay good, just checking. Have you said it in your head?"

"MOM! No! Okay, yeah, I did one time because I stubbed my toe and it really hurt. Even then I just sort of thought 'effffffffffff' in my head and not the whole word."

"Okay, I can accept that. Put Anna on the phone."

"Hi Mummy! Hi! Mom...how was your day today? Did you have a nice day? Are you having a nice night? I hanged out with Rachel today! I told Michelle that I wanted the red duck and then I sleeped and it was fun. How was your day? I miss you. I love you."

"I had a great day today and I miss you too. I love you more than the moon and the stars and the earth combined. And wow, Anna, you sound like you are very grown up. Did you grow at all since I saw you last?"

"I think I did, yes. Okay, here's Kate."

"Kate, are you being nice to your sister? Is she being nice to you? Are you being good girls?"

"Mom! Yes. I didn't see her all day so we're getting along fine. It's only when we spend too much time together that I don't like her very much. But that's pretty normal to get on each other's nerves, isn't it, when we spend so much time together?"

"Yes, I would think so. Look at you and me when we spend too much time together, we fight too. But I'm glad you are getting along right now and just think, only two more days until I see you guys and what do you want to do?"

"I want to watch a movie and eat popcorn."

"Oh jeez girl, you always want to do that! Let's go to the beach too!"

"Well, yeah, duh, of course we are going to the beach."

"Oh Kate, don't even, don't even start with me, you little punk!"

"3...2...1....oh yeah, I did! I started it, it's on Mom!"

And so on and so on. I'm a lucky, lucky human being to have those kids in my life and those friends and everything else that I have. No more wallowing for me!

-Megs
xo


No comments: