Search This Blog

Monday, March 09, 2015

The Daily Chai and How I Almost Died Today

Today's grande chai latte was of the fancy Oprah variety. 2% milk in case you were wondering because low fat is for chumps and life is too short to waste time on fat free drinks. I drank it too fast and now I'm sweaty. Damn those hot drinks.

Let the philosophical musings begin. 

I was glorying in the extra hour of daylight yesterday and loving the red sunset. My dad used to tell me "Red sky at night, sailors' delight" I figure sailors have to be  pretty good at reading the weather and the old saying meant that a red sunset at night forecasted a beautiful day in the morning. I've never known this to be proven untrue which makes me appreciate those beautiful sunsets even more. 

However, when I woke up in the dark this morning, I was less than impressed. Forgot about that part of Daylight Savings Time. Oh well, I let the kids sleep a little longer and took pictures of them
After dropping Anna at daycare, I galloped back to the car, singing and doing windmills with my arms, purely just to embarrass Kate who is at the perfect age to be mortified by everything I do, whether anyone is watching or not. Just for fun, I now intentionally do embarrassing things around her. There is a method to my madness however...my goal is to teach her not to give a shit about what other people think of her. It's a slow process and I'm having a delightful time with it. 

"Mom! Why are you doing that? What's wrong with you?"

"Nothing Kate! I'm just happy!"

"Why?"

"Why what?"

"Mom! Why are you happy?"

"Um. I don't know. Because the sun is shining. Because it's only minus three instead of minus a hundred. Because spring is coming. Because the birds are back. I don't really have a reason. Isn't that amazing? I'm me and I'm happy about it. Because baby, I'm alive!" 

"Oh. Well stop doing that, it's  embarrassing."

Sigh. 

So it was rather ironic that on the way to work today, after dropping Kate off, I almost got smoked by a transport truck I was just about to pass on the highway. He decided it would be the perfect time to switch lanes and I literally had to slam my brakes on to avoid getting run over. My car skidded and fishtailed as he quickly veered back into his lane, causing his trailer to wobble dangerously and I pictured him losing control and me slamming into him. Still shaking from that close call. 

So I say again, I am happy to be alive. Life is short, death is long. Enjoy every minute you have on earth because the number you get is finite. I will continue to dance and sing to embarrass my daughter and I will tell her every day of my life why I am happy. 

Because baby, I'm alive. Listen to this song and I think you will agree. 

No comments: