Search This Blog

Monday, June 15, 2015

The Daily Chai Calls Bullshit on Soulmates

Today's chai did not materialize. Typical. I did finally get one on Friday that was especially delicious because of the great company I had with me and a good old fashion chat. 

I wrote the other day that I don't believe in fate. I also agree with Monica that there is no such thing as soul mates, there is no one perfect person for each person in the world. I think lucky people run into like-minded people and something clicks. If they are really lucky...they might fall in love. And if they are really, really lucky, they will both work bloody hard to keep that love fresh and true and strong. Relationships are hard work and if you aren't willing to put in the time, you lose it. You can't just say, "But she's my soulmate!" and hope that she sticks around through all your bullshit just because you are meant to be together. Don't rely on fate to keep you together because even if fate were real, you would have no idea  if your fate was to be together or not. See all the holes in that kind of thinking? I just can't get behind it.

Anna told me today that she can't wait to grow up and she doesn't like being a kid because she's too little to reach stuff and she doesn't get to do stuff that she wants to do when she wants to do it. I looked at her and said, "Kid, I'm a grown up and I have the same problems." She looked pretty shocked and then very disappointed. Wait until I tell her about how fate is bullshit!

-Megs


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The universe told me you'd say that.