Search This Blog

Friday, May 29, 2015

The Daily Chai is Awake. So Very Awake

It's 2:00 a.m. And there is no chai. Let me ask you a question. Does chai exist to be ordered or do I exist to order chai? Now I'm the one in existential crisis. 

Obviously I can't sleep or I wouldn't be writing this. I don't know why, I've been lying here for an hour trying to sleep and I can't. Might be the two and half hour nap I took after work. Or the two T3's I took before bed. I thought codeine made you sleepy? Not a chance. But apparently, unbeknownst to me, I've been snoozing and having wicked (drug-induced?) dreams. I just woke up with a start after dreaming my phone suddenly started playing music loudly, simply because I THOUGHT IN MY HEAD, "I wish I could listen to music, it might help me sleep," and loyal Bridgette the IX decides to play a (loud) lullaby for me. Well, of course the music wakes me up, scares the shit out of me, I grab the phone, fumbling to turn it off, ripping the plug out. My mom stomps by to close a window because it's raining (oh shit I woke my mom up and she's mad) and I'm trying to turn the damn music off, but the volume buttons won't work. God! There, it's off. My mom tries to shut my door but can't because there are fairy costumes in the way so she brings those in and puts them in my closet and tugs the door shut. I pretend to sleep to try to fool her about why she woke up. There is silence as I hide under my covers, but why did she leave my light on and I'm feeling guilty for waking her up with my music and it's so bright in here. Holy shit, did my phone really start playing music because it read my mind? 

I just woke up to realize the lights are not on, it's the moon on my white walls and my door has been closed the whole time and my phone is still plugged in on my bedside table. Not playing music. I still wonder if my mom was awake and walking around but at least it's not my fault if she is.  And wait a minute...it's not raining either. 

It's about that time something starts screeching outside. It sounds like a hawk screaming although I've never heard a hawk make quite that noise. I do not go to investigate, I'm still wondering if any part of that was real. 

No comments: