Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

The Daily Chai Says Farewell to the First Long Weekend of the Summer

Today's chai didn't come out to play. Balls.

I took the kids to see the Avengers: The Age of Ultron today. I don't even know what to say about this movie. I loved the action scenes and the silly humour is always appreciated, but when they started waxing philosophical about the fate of the human race all I heard was, "Blah, blah, blah." Save the deep introspection for the dramas and get on with the six or seven plot lines you've pasted together. With so many super heroes, there were a lot of separate stories to keep track of, but I will say this: I have to get me a Chris. Pine, Hemsworth, Evans or Pratt would do just fine. Now, I know, I know, two of these Chrises are not even in the Avengers, but hey, my mind was wandering so much while watching the movie that it doesn't even matter. Hmmm...I wonder if any of them are single? And after a quick Google search it looks like I can narrow that down to Evans and Pine. Hollywood, here I come!

Just kidding, of course. I could never date a guy named Chris.

I took the kids to the fireworks tonight and I can safely say that a good time was had by all. Those girls spend so much time together and of course they squabble, but they really do have fun with each other. I heard Kate say yesterday, "You're my best friend Anna, but don't ever force me to eat grass again, that's just mean." We were in the outfield of the baseball diamond to watch the fireworks and they went off to play tag with each other before the show started. I lay on my stomach, watching them run and felt like a kid myself again. Nothing like lying in the grass on a warm night while the sun sets to make your cares seem far away. I always love to watch Anna run, her little legs pumping up and down to keep up with her sister. I think she might be a runner one day, she is rock solid. I also love how Kate laughs when she is truly having a good time. Nothing can keep that kid down.

After they came back, sweaty and laughing, Kate wanted me to tell ghost stories. I obliged with this one:

"In a dark, dark forest [MOOOOOM, I know this one, it's not even scary], there was a dark, dark house. And in the dark, dark house, there was a dark, dark room [Mom! Seriously, you can't scare me with this one, you've told it a MILLION times]. And in the dark, dark room, there was a dark, dark closet. And [Mom! Tell me a REAL ghost story, come on!] in the dark, dark closet, there was a dark, dark box. And in the dark, dark box, there...was...a...GHOST!" And as I yelled ghost, both Anna and Kate screamed and jumped about a mile. Not scary, my ass. Those kids have no faith in me to tell a good story. Jeez.

Anna, especially, thought the fireworks were amazing but about halfway through, she wanted to know when they were going to be over. Very short attention span, that one. No idea where that com....SQUIRREL!

As we walked the half kilometre back to the car in the dark, Anna started saying she was scared and that we were lost and we would never get back to the car. I just laughed and said I knew perfectly well where the car was, don't you worry little chicken. Then Kate gets in on it with, "Mom, I don't think this is the street we came down, I think we're lost. You don't know where we're going, do you?" Of course, that got Anna going even more and she starts whining about being lost and were we just going to wander around looking for the car all night and she was SO TIRED MUMMY! Jesus. Have some fricking faith!

"Kate, Anna, seriously. I'm a grown-up. I know how to get around. I know where the car is. I know what street we're on. Did I not get you safely to Vancouver and back? On a plane? Plus drive you all over Vancouver without getting lost very often? I also managed to get us to Victoria and back ON A BOAT and we somehow managed to survive, even though I know the chances were very slim that I could handle the situation. Trust me. Grown up. I know what I'm doing."

"Yeah, but mom, that was on a boat. The boat knew where to go, you barely had to do anything."

Jesus! Those little ingrates!

Then I looked around and realized we had indeed turned down the wrong street and I did not, in fact, know where we were. Dammit!

Not to worry faithful reader, it's a small town and we were just taking the scenic route! I found the car eventually and we made it home, both girls passed out cold by the time we got here.

Happy long weekend, hope y'all had as much fun as we did!

-Megs


No comments: