Search This Blog

Saturday, May 16, 2015

The Daily Chai Visits the Aunts

Today's chai was hot and milky. Must remember to ask for extra spice.

Happy Victoria Day weekend everyone! Isn't the first long weekend of the season the best weekend in the world? Love it! I remember when this weekend meant camping and fires and getting completely shit-faced and spending the entire weekend either drunk or hungover. Good times! Next year I might even have my shit together enough to organize some camping/fires/drinking, but this year I'm spending it with my lovely little people and I couldn't be happier.

When I'm with the kids, I do seem to spend a lot of my time getting things for them and doing things for them before I put my foot down and say, "That's it, if you want water, you know where the tap is!" I don't know how I fall into the servitude trap with them all the time but I'm finally starting to wise up to the fact that they are old enough to do a lot of these things themselves. I have to say, Kate knows I like to sleep a little later than 7:00 am so she got Anna and herself breakfast this morning and even put the dirty dishes on the counter and wiped the table clean. I fricking love that kid! I got to sleep to most wonderful time of 8:43 before Anna had a tantrum about Netflix not working on my iPad.

All of us wearing socks my grandma knit
Two of my aunts recently moved to London, one from Toronto and one from Kamloops and they are setting up house together so today I took the girls to visit them for the afternoon. It was a lovely afternoon with lovely hosts and they are so good with my kids, they have made firm friends out of them. Both of the aunts are artists, one paints and the other makes jewellery and they promised the next time we come, they will have all their art supplies organized and available for the kids to use. I imagine that will mean the girls will never want to leave again. Maybe I can drop them off for a week this summer and run for the hills!

Got back into town and dropped in on my bestie for an hour chat -- study break for her and a little bestie time for both of us! Love that girl, just being in her presence makes me happy. You know when you find someone who laughs at the same silly crap you laugh at, you better take care to love that person hard for the rest of your life. We did a little planning for my birthday shindig which is coming up soon and discussed the only thing either of us wants for our birthdays (which are within three weeks of each other)...that's right, ICE CREAM CAKES. I suggested we share one big one and she looked at me like I'd grown another head. She's right of course, that is just madness. I don't know what I was thinking! I love her, but even I have to draw the line at sharing my ice cream cake.

Since the girls slept all the way home from London, they are currently not even a little bit tired and I can hear them giggling like mad in bed still. Sisterly love can't be beat. I find it astounding that these two can spend the entire day together and still be on speaking terms at bedtime.

-Megs

No comments: