Search This Blog

Sunday, May 31, 2015

The Daily Chai Had a Busy Weekend

Today's chai was just mocking me with every Starbucks I passed because I was too busy to get one.

Had a great weekend with the kids, although it didn't start out to well. Saturday morning, I get a text from my ex saying the rats that Kate keeps as pets have chewed through their cage and are...somewhere in the house. Awesome. Not sure what he expects me to do about it and told him so, he said he was just telling me. Okay. Well, have fun with that, I'm going to Doon Heritage Crossroads with the kids for Ecofest with my friend and her kids. Admission to the museum and the village were free and we had a great time, even though it poured rain the entire day. Lots of really good info about conserving energy and water as well as interesting things to see in the village. Kate loves all the old-fashioned buildings and we stopped for a while at the blacksmith's and he showed us how to make an "S" hook. Hmmm, maybe I should become a blacksmith. I bet my arms would look awesome! Well, at least one of them would.

By the time we left, we were drenched to the bone and I told the girls we were headed back home instead of to the mall as I had said earlier. Kate lost a tooth on Friday and she knew one of the things we were doing at the mall was getting money for the tooth fairy as the tooth fairy had no cash for a Friday visit. We were also going to shop for shorts and dresses for her because she is constantly growing out of everything she owns. The news that we would not be going to the mall brought on a lot of whinging and I got angry with her.

"Kate, my darling, love of my life, have we not just spent four hours having fun? Are we not soaked to the skin? We need to get home and dry off and you need to be grateful for the things you did get to do today and stop complaining about the things we are not going to do. There is always tomorrow for goodness sake!"

She stopped after that, but I was irritated. I've mentioned before that Kate likes to know the plan, so I will often explain ahead of time what we are doing that day with the disclaimer that things can and probably will change. She has an annoyingly good memory and will hold me to what I've said, but conveniently forgets about the disclaimer.

By the time we got home, I was exhausted, realizing that it was probably too much too soon. While I feel fine, I've been getting tired more easily and I think I'm not taking into enough consideration that I did just have my abdomen cut into and altered. However minor that surgery was, it was still surgery and I have to remind myself to take it a little easier. I told both kids that I would like some quiet time, in which they do not ask me to do anything for them or ask me any questions about the meaning of life. For the love of god, I know I'm awesome, but I do not know why they call it carpet. Or why Anna has birth marks. Or why it's raining. As Kate says though, how does she know that I don't know unless she asks? And, she says sweetly, buttering me up, I often DO know the answers. Okay you little manipulative nut, but can you not ask for about thirty minutes? Thanks.

Anna looked up at me with that sweet smile and said, "When you're done having quiet time, will you come down and snuggle with me?"

"Yes."

"Okay." And off she goes without further protest.

Today, it was off to my mom's classroom as she gave us first crack at her class library before she gives the rest away because she will retire at the end of this month. Kate was thrilled to be going to my old school where my mom now teaches and I showed her some of the hot hangout spots from my youth (the girls's bathroom in the basement and the lunchroom). Then we finally made it to the mall and got Kate clothes for the summer and I got a dress for me for my birthday party. Which I don't technically need, but hey, it's my birthday and I have to make sure I don't look my age, right?

We made it to the theatre in time to see Tomorrowland, which I quite liked, although I fell asleep a couple times. Not because the movie was bad but because I was that tired. Getting old! While the movie was good enough, I would really like to see a movie that I love, just once. The last few have just been meh. I saw the Star Wars trailer on the big screen and I was more excited about that than the feature presentation to be honest!

Made the kids go off to bed double haste some time after dinner because Game of Thrones was coming on. I'm not going to say much about it because I know a lot of you watch it and may not be caught up, but I'm not really sure I like the direction that it's taking. Too much like that other wildly popular show everyone watches, but what can you do? Gotta pander to the masses, I suppose.

I'm going to bed.

-Megs

No comments: